Melbourne Airport

News & events

International Terminal expands for new aviation era

Dec 02, 2009

Melbourne Airport today unveiled its new passenger concourse - the first stage of the Airport's $330 million international terminal expansion.

Officially opening the 7,000m² expansion, Minister for Industry and Trade Martin Pakula said the new concourse allowed Terminal Two to operate a further three aircraft parking bays including two gates with dual-level aerobridges to accommodate the A380.

"Three new airlines are commencing international services from Melbourne this month in addition to the 23 that currently operate," Mr Pakula said.

"International passenger numbers are also rising, with an increase of 2.8 per cent last financial year.

"These magnificent new facilities will ensure international visitors to Victoria have a first class arrival and departures experience."

Mr Pakula said stage two of the development will create an entirely new international passenger precinct and add more than 5,000m² of new passenger lounge, café, duty free and specialty shop space to Terminal Two. 

"The new precinct will feature 10-metre high windows providing spectacular views into the airfield, and has been designed to incorporate signature elements and design features of Melbourne architecture," he said.

"By late 2011, passengers will have unrivalled views of the Melbourne airfield, and an international terminal that is above and beyond anything seen in this country."

Melbourne Airport CEO Chris Woodruff said the $330 million redevelopment will continue to revolutionise the international passenger experience at Melbourne Airport.

"This cutting-edge expansion has been designed with the traveller experience in mind," Mr Woodruff said.

"Floor to ceiling windows allow passengers to be closer to the runway than ever before while innovative, environmentally friendly features such as automated blinds and CO2 detection will ensure maximum comfort."

Mr Woodruff said a collaborative approach had ensured a successful completion and thanked all staff, airlines and handling agents for their outstanding support so far.

"This is one of the largest private infrastructure sites in Victoria and, when completed, will have seen over 2,000 people working on the development since the airport was built in the late 1960s," he said.

"With the bulk of heavy construction now complete, we can turn our attention to the public interface which will feature brand new security screening, passport control and a retail offering."

V Australia yesterday launched a point-to-point service to Los Angeles; Qatar Airways will launch from Doha this Sunday and Viva Macau will fly its inaugural service next Thursday 10 December.

Back to News & events 2009 archive