International passenger growth continues at Melbourne Airport in October
Nov 18, 2011
Melbourne Airport continues to achieve positive international passenger growth in October with an additional 35,004 passengers or 7 per cent growth compared to the same period last year, taking international passengers to 567,050 for the month.
Melbourne Airport CEO, Mr Chris Woodruff said, “Our continuing international growth is evidence that our hard work now, and from the past few years, is paying off.”
“By working closely with the state government and peak tourist bodies such as ‘Team Victoria’, we remain able to attract airlines and passengers to our fantastic city.
“China Southern is a great example of the success of this approach as we welcomed the commencement of their increased services at the end of October. I was pleased to recently launch these services with the Minister for Tourism, Louise Asher as well as senior executives from China Southern, and officials from The City of Melbourne,” said Mr Woodruff.
Countries with strong growth in passport holders for October included China which grew by 28 per cent, South Korea by 19 per cent, Japan by 14 per cent and the Philippines by 12 per cent. Traditional markets also had positive growth during the month with Canada growing by 14.1 per cent, New Zealand by 5 per cent and the USA by 2.3 per cent.
Domestic passengers declined by 6 per cent resulting in a total of 1,856,663 domestic passengers, reflecting the Qantas disruption towards the end of the month and the continuing restricted Tiger Airways schedule. Total passengers for October reached, 2,423,713, a decline of 3 per cent compared to October last year.
“We are also continuing to work hard to ease congestion throughout the airport precinct, recently commencing construction activities on the redevelopment of our forecourt area,” said Mr Woodruff.
“With approximately 80,000 passengers passing through Melbourne Airport every day, our terminal forecourt area is a busy place indeed. So, to improve traffic flow, we are separating cars from buses. These works, which are scheduled to be completed by the end of the year, will make it easier for people to get in and out of the terminal.”
“And people who have flown recently, will have seen the great progress that we’re making on the APAC Drive on-ramp. There are some critical works required over the coming weeks that will mean some traffic disruptions and closures of the Tullamarine Freeway at various times between 26 November and 4 December.”
“We are working closely with VicRoads to minimise disruptions to passengers and motorists and have also scheduled works at night which is the least disruptive time.”
“During this period, we recommend passengers travelling in the evenings to check our website, follow us on Twitter and listen out for latest traffic updates for traffic diversions and any delays.
“There is currently a lot of construction activity in and around Melbourne Airport and I’d like to thank our passengers for their patience and cooperation as we work towards making their travel experience better”, said Mr Woodruff.
For further information, please contact: Melbourne Airport Media - (03) 9335 3666